In 1893, the Wengernalp Railway (WAB) came into operation, connecting Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald with the Kleine Scheidegg. Today it is still the world’s longest continuous cogwheel railway. Tourism developed in Grindelwald thanks to this railway, and the Hotel Kreuz & Post opened in 1899.
The end of Horse coaches
The first steam train of the Bernese Oberland Railway (BOB) made its maiden journey in 1890, connecting Interlaken with Grindelwald and thus signalling the end of the mail coach.
HOW WE CAME BY THE POST HORN
The site where the Hotel Kreuz & Post now stands used to be the stables for the Grindelwald postal service. The name «Kreuz & Post» refers back to the time when there were daily mail coaches and the coach driver would sound the post horn on arrival.